The Director General of the Consumer Protection Council, Babatunde Irukera, has warned Nigerians on the dangers of not thoroughly washing and parboiling their beans extensively before consumption.
This is coming after a reports that retailers use insecticide known as sniper to treat beans so as to preserve it from weevils or molds.
In a statement today Irukera said Sniper, by its chemical composition and nature, is potentially injurious when human beings are unduly exposed by inhalation, absorption, direct skin contact or ingestion.
He also admonished consumers to make sufficient inquiries before engaging in new purchases of beans as available information at the weekend revealed retailers have already built a huge stock of commodity.
Irukera therefore, advised that apart from the cooking method and enquiries before purchase, consumers must wash their food items sufficiently before cooking.
Irukera said that the council is collaborating with other relevant regulatory authorities to address the dangerous situation.