French media says the Paris home of France’s conservative presidential candidate Francois Fillon has been raided by investigators.
The search was part of an investigation into an allegedly fake job given to his wife. Mr. Fillon has vowed to continue his presidential campaign, despite growing pressure for him to step down.
He was once seen as the favourite to win the election but his poll ratings have dropped since the scandal emerged.
The allegations circling around the Fillon family focus mainly on his Welsh-born wife Penelope, who is also reported to be facing an investigation.
The Le Canard Enchaine newspaper alleges she was paid eight hundred and thirty one thousand four hundred euro over several years for working as a parliamentary assistant for Mr Fillon and his successor, but had no parliamentary pass raising questions over whether she did the work she was paid for.
His parliamentary office had already been searched last month.
Senior Republicans have gathered support for ex-Prime Minister Alain Juppe, 71, who was defeated by Mr. Fillon in the primaries.
On Wednesday, Mr. Fillon said he had been summoned to appear before a judge over the case.
He complained he was the victim of a political assassination, and vowed to continue his run for president – despite previously pledging to stand down if his case was placed under formal investigation.
Following his announcement, several key allies resigned, including his foreign affairs spokesman and deputy campaign director.
Mr. Fillon will appear in court on 15 March, just two days before the deadline for candidates to submit their final applications. The first round of the election takes place on 23 April, followed by a run-off on 7 May.